Lucky Leprechauns is the result of a two person project during my studies. One semester we created a game design and the second we developed the game from scratch. It is a network multiplayer action game with tactical elements, where the players are able to control a Leprechaun. It takes place in a magic world with huge living mushrooms and a gold pot at the end of a rainbow. The Leprechauns are meant for fighting against each other with three different attacks and the help of various items, which can be found all across the world. The goal is to reach the gold pot to win the game.
The client is divided into the self-made game engine and the game itself. It is written in C++ with DirectX 9, for the GUI the libRocket framework was used and the 3d models were imported with the FBXSDK. For model design and animation Maya was used. The server was developed with C# and XNA and was responsible for collision detection and the communication between the clients. The source code can be found on GitHub.
One of the classic games was simply redeveloped with the familiar mechanics: The player controls the yellow figure called Pac-Man and the four ghosts (Shadow, Speedy, Bashful and Pokey) are the enemies. The goal is to collect all yellow points on the map without running into one of the ghosts. The focus here was to implement the behavior of the ghosts and as an extension an artificial intelligence for Pac-Man was also built in. Therefore it is possible to switch between a manual control and the automatic game play. Each of the ghosts has another strategy to catch Pac-Man, which is related to their names.
The game was developed with C++ and the game SDK ClanLib. The source code can be found on GitHub.
This project was part of the Game Engine Design classes, where I was confronted with several Game Engines like the CryEngine. But this classic Breakout game was developed with Unity3D and C#. The exercise was to create the game in 3D with three levels. The goal is to destroy all rectangular blocks in a level by directing the bouncing ball onto them. The player controls the panel on the bottom by moving the mouse left or right. When the ball passes by the panel and goes out of the screen on the bottom, then the player looses one life and the ball is reset again.
The classic four connected game: the player (red color) and a computer controlled enemy (white color) throw alternately tokens into the different columns of the game. The first one with four tokens in a row (vertical, horizontal or diagonal) wins the game. The difficulty here was to build an artificial intelligence combining three techniques: Negamax search, Alpha-beta pruning and a heuristic evaluation.
Four Connected was developed with C++ and the game SDK ClanLib. The source code can be found on GitHub.
This is a classic 2D tower defense game and was created by a study colleague and me at the end of my bachelor studies. There are several waves with various enemies running over the map on a static given path. With the help of financial resources the player is able to buy towers of different types and place them on strategic positions next to the enemy path. The towers are shooting at the enemies and have to prevent them reaching the other end of the map, otherwise the player looses one life. Therefore the goal is to survive all enemy waves to win the game.
This game was developed with the programming language C++ and the game SDK ClanLib. The source code can be found on GitHub.
My first bachelor thesis had to deal with a famous video game, which we were allowed to choose. I decided to examine the FIFA soccer series developed by Electronic Arts because I really like the game and also soccer as a sport. I analyzed and described the technical progress of the game series always referring to the main attributes Gameplay, graphics and sound. The thesis also told the history of the manufacturer and I compared it to other famous soccer game titles.
The bachelor thesis can be downloaded in German.